Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Natural History Reading: The Secret Life of Lobsters

Right now I'm reading The Secret Life of Lobsters by Trevor Corson. As a science educator, especially one who works at an aquarium, it's more or less required reading. I have had a number of colleagues recommend it to me. Sadly, I've been disappointed. I'm slogging through it, something that normally does not happen with me and science/natural history reading. As you may be able to tell from my blog, I generally love this kind of reading. I think the issue is that there are a ton of characters. The book tells the story of the Maine lobstering community from more or less the beginning up to present day. This includes the fishermen's perspective as well as the scientists' perspective. However it's told in a jumpy flash-forward, flash-back way that makes it hard for me to keep track of who's who, especially since I will go for several days without reading a page.

The one thing I really like about the book are the parts about how scientists discovered certain things about lobsters. I've learned a lot about these crazy crustaceans in the last year and it's interesting to read about the experiments that lead to our better understanding of them. If you're passionate about the Maine lobstering economy or animals that pee out of their face then this book might be for you but I wouldn't give it a strong recommendation to the general public.

Coming soon: see my blog featured on a friend's blog and learn a little about isopods.

No comments:

Post a Comment