Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Indoor Wildlife, Revisited

Uff, it's been nearly two weeks since I've posted anything. I've been busy, mostly with fun stuff like camping in the Whites (photos and posts to come).

One of my first posts on this blog was about finding a small spider in my house and enjoying having wildlife indoors. I know animals indoors have a wide range of reactions, even from me. A few months back we had a rat in our house which made me...less than enthusiastic...about animals inside. And this morning I found the largest spider I've ever seen!!! (Well, the largest one inside my house).

As usual you should check out the full res version in the web album to get the full effect of this image. You can really see all the hairy structures on the legs. So this spider really wasn't that big, maybe an inch diameter leg-span. But one of the things I have a healthy fear/respect of is the brown recluse spider...and I can never remember exactly what the darn thing looks like. I know they don't tend to spin webs, climb walls or do a lot of the things we typically associate with spiders but whenever I see a reasonably sized arachnid I get a bit nervous.

This is definitely no recluse but still I safely ushered this one out doors (where it's pictured). Go eat the last of the summer mosquitoes, big guy!

No comments:

Post a Comment